Wow, what a week it was! Not only am I down with the flippen flu but our little Staffie pup, Zeus, got hit by a car on Wednesday evening. Our neighborhood is still traumatized by my mortifying bawling in … Continue reading
It’s been merely a week since my indulgent trip to Durban, and even though I can still taste the flavoursome falafels and abundantly stuffed roti’s, I’ve managed to shake off the two killer kg’s they caused. A bit of exercise and a healthy vegan meal plan truly works miracles around your waistline! Since last Monday, I opted for whole foods: rolled oats with fresh fruit, homemade pesto on pasta or corn crackers, steamed veggies, fluffy buckwheat, starchy soups and superfood smoothies. Fine, I admit I also had a burger and two glasses of Chardonnay at a friend’s birthday braai 😛
Luckily for me, I really don’t have a sweet tooth – but every oh-so-often the sugar bug bites. Yesterday, after a big Sunday lunch with the family, I craved decadence. The vegan-friendly biscuits in our sweetie drawer called my name, but as I really didn’t want to mess up a week’s worth of hard work, I choose a healthier option instead. Avo-chocolate mousse may sound revolting, but I promise you it’s ridiculously delicious. I’ve made it for fussy friends before and they truly loved it. Even a small serving will satisfy your desire for sweetness, but no-one will judge you for eating it all 😉 Made from 100% whole foods, this dessert is enjoyed guilt-free!
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 1 large ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons Soaring Free Superfood Raw Cacoa Powder
- ½ cup Almond Breeze Original
- 2 tablespoons Health Connection Organic Agave Syrup
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract / essence
- Place all ingredients in your blender/food processor and purée until smooth (I prefer using the hand blender instead of my Omni Blend for this recipe, it just blends easier).
Add more Agave to make this mousse a tad bit sweeter
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup tofu
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 2 cups Almond Breeze original almond drink
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- Add flax seeds and walnuts to a blender. Blend together until they form a VERY FINE powder.
- Add the tofu, berries, agave and Almond Breeze to the blender and blend until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Top with frozen berries and serve immediately.
This afternoon, as I was soaking up the last of KZN’s winter sun through the boeing window, with teary eyes and an already-longing heart, I realized it’s time to get back into blogging and decided to share a bit about my brilliant little … Continue reading
- 2x frozen bananas, cut up
- 1x cup of frozen berries
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of water
- Blend it all up in your high-speed blender until you reach the consistency of ice-cream.