I am Leozette Roode, editor if CT Veganista and newly-transformed vegan living in the mother city.
My first ever vegan encounter was whilst completing my honours degree in Public Relations at CPUT Cape Town. We were instructed to write an article on “My first” experience, and while the rest of my classmates decided on some sort of adrenaline activity, I opted for something culinary… I wrote an article on My first vegan experience entitled: Is there egg in there?
As this was a once-off experience, I went back to my meat-eating ways, but ate vegan every once in a while for detox purposes. It was only after watching Earthlings in June of 2012 that I transformed to being a full-time Pescatarian.
In January 2014 I decided to give up fish, eggs and diary as well and take on the Veganuary challenge of supporting veganism for the month of January. During this time I got completely hooked on living a healthy vegan lifestyle, and decide to convert permanently. So here I am… a 100% veganista opting to help other potential vegans make the switch and survive in the mother city of Cape Town.
Since I switched to vegan, I saw a gap in the market’s education when it comes to vegan cooking. I noticed that most of the general Cape Town restaurants I visit on a regular basis, don’t know the difference between vegetarian and vegan.
My objective for this blog is to:
- Show readers that vegans are not wierd – they are normal humans who simply live and eat with more compassion.
- Educate readers on how easy it is to cook wholesome, home cooked vegan meals.
- Educate the public on the benefits of being vegan, and to prove that you do get all the nutrition you need from a plant-based diet.
- Identify vegan products; where to buy them and how to use them.
- Identify vegan-friendly restaurants and hotels.
- Identify dishes that can be easily modified to suit vegan needs.
- And finally, to educate restaurants on veganism and hopefully convince them to add vegan-friendly dishes to their menus.
I sincerely hope CT Veganista will serve its purpose in your vegan needs!