- I ran my very first half marathon race (twice)!
- I joined a running club (Cape Multisport Club) and started trail running.
- I appeared on the Afternoon Express show 5 times!!! Educating over 2 million viewers about veganism and demonstrating delicious plant-based recipes.
- I convinced Africa’s top-ranked university, the University of Cape Town, to implement vegan options in their residence dining hall menus (daily) and then I trained 29 of their chefs on plant-based cooking, before launching the program in October.
- I also convinced the University of Witwatersrand to implement a plant-based menu in all their dining halls, making one dining hall completely plant-based on Green Mondays, and scheduled training with their chefs for this January.
- I paid off my car!
- I saved up half of what I need for a deposit on a little housy.
- I started seeing a psychologist and embraced personal growth and good mental health. It was the best decision ever (thank you), I’ve never learnt so much about myself than I did this past year.
- I met the most incredible people, some of whom have become my best friends.
- I raised R2 580 for GreenPop’s reforestation project when I “ran for trees” during the Sanlam 10km Peace Run.
- I helped to raise R18 496 for Life Child (who takes care of underprivileged children) through Margolite’s 100 climbs 100 lives challenge.
- I worked at two outdoor festivals (Reforest Fest and Rocking the Daisies) to promote veganism to the masses (mostly millennials 😛 ).
- I was part of an amazing team who organised and ran the Cape Town Vegan Challenge in October this year. We hosted over 20 events in 4 weeks and signed up 1150 participants to eat plant-based during this time!
- I got offered a new position at work, this year I will be the communications manager for HSI, Africa – working on both wildlife and farm animal issues.
- I was featured in the Wellness Magazine – and one of my recipes is featured again in the January 2018 issue (get your copy now).
- I signed a deal for a VERY exciting project launching in 2018 – watch this space!
- And finally, I cooked some really good vegan food!
I said goodbye to 2017 with a heavy heart, and I know a lot of healing still lies ahead. It is the first time in 7 years that I’m starting a year off alone, which is super scary for me. But even though it seems daunting, and even though I’m a bit anxious for what lies ahead, I feel strong, present and ready to embrace every opportunity and challenge that comes my way. May 2018 be the year I become still and mindful, at peace in my own company. May I be present, not dwelling on the past or stressing about the future. May 2018 be the year I find myself (so cheesy) and be authentic. May I have fun and may I fall. And may I look back in a year’s time and write a blog post twice this size 😉
Love, Leo xx