There are two types of people in the world: those who gently drizzle dressings over dinners and those who suffocate their suppers in sauces. I am the latter! You can never see my chippies under the blanket of All Gold goodness, and when my meal is done, the plate (and my outfit) is saturated in stickiness.
This post features two seriously saucy elements: 1) my mega mushroom burger with creamy cashew mushroom sauce AND 2) a competition where you can #WIN one of five awesome Denny Mushroom and Almond Breeze hampers!
So, let’s dive right into it…
MEGA MUSHROOM BURGER WITH CREAMY CASHEW MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 2x Crumbed Denny Mushroom burger patties
- 2x whole wheat or seeded rolls
- 2x big brown mushrooms
- Garnish (tomato, lettuce, onion)
For the sauce:
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ punnet Denny mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 250 ml Almond Breeze Original
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts (soaked for 4 hours in hot water)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Ina Paarman beef stock powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Place the mushroom patties in an oven-proof dish along with two sprigs of rosemary. Cook the patties for 20 minutes.
- While the patties are cooking, prepare your mushroom sauce: Add a tiny dash of olive oil to a non-stick pan. Fry the red onion and garlic until fragrant. Add mushrooms, oregano and fresh rosemary sprigs and fry until mushrooms are brown. Continuously cover the mushroom mix over the rosemary. Remove from stove.
- Add the following to a high-speed blender: Almond Breeze almond milk, raw cashews (drained), beef stock powder, onion powder, half of the mushroom mixture, and the leaves from the two rosemary sprigs (tear the leaves off the sprig). Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add a grind of salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat the remaining mushroom mixture in the pan. Add the creamy sauce to the pan and stir quickly over very low heat. Add another generous grind of black pepper and a bit of salt if needed. The sauce will thicken and brown slightly. Remove from heat.
- Fry the brown mushrooms in a bit of olive oil (or your favourite barbeque sauce).
- Build your burgers and top the patty with a VERY substantial heap of sauce.
- Wipe your mouth and lick your fingers as the sauce oozes out of the sides of your burger with each bite.
I am giving away five Denny Mushroom and Almond Breeze hampers! Each of the five winners will receive 2x Denny Mushroom vouchers (valued at R39, 99 each) as well as two cartons of Almond Breeze milk (valued at R36, 95 each).
- Follow all three of us on Instagram: @ctveganista, @almondbreezesa and @dennymushrooms.
- Like the mushroom burger post on my Instagram feed.
- Comment on the post with your favourite burger sauce.
Terms and conditions:
- The competition launches on Friday, 5 May 2017 at 12:00 pm.
- The competition ends on Friday, 12 May 2017 at 10:00 am.
- All valid entries will go into a lucky draw.
- The winner will be announced on my Instagram competition post and on this blog post at 12:00.
- Winners need to respond with their contact details and physical address by Wednesday, 17 May 2017.
- Winners’ details will be forwarded to the representing PR agency to organise delivery. In the case of Denny Mushrooms, winners will receive a SMS voucher. Vouchers are redeemable at Checkers stores nationwide and are valid until 31 May 2017.
- Winners’ can choose an Almond Breeze variant of their choice.
- The prize is non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for another prize or cash.
- The competition is not affiliated with Instagram.
Vegan Love, Leo xx