It is getting a bit nippy in Cape Town as winter is slowly creeping up on the city. Being a vegan in the summer time is easy as salads and fresh fruit are always appealing, however, when the rain comes down and the electric blankets come out, I crave for something warm and hearty. This Chilli con Corn-é hits the spot! It is super quick to make as it requires basically no preparation and it provides that comforting feeling we desire during the cold months. Even more, this dish is also nutrient and protein –dense, but low in fat – especially if you eat it as is instead of with a starch side.
- 1x white onion, chopped
- 1x tin chopped tomato
- 1x tin black beans
- ½ tin kettle corn
- ½ cup soya mince or TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- ½ cup barbeque sauce (I used Jack Daniels BBQ Glaze in Smokey Sweet)
- ¼ cup tomato sauce (I used All Gold)
- 2x cups of boiled water
- 1x teaspoon chilli flakes (more if you want a harder kick)
- 1x teaspoon onion powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Soak the soya mince in water for 20 minutes. Drain water and squeeze out excess water from the soya mince.
- Fry the chopped onion in a bit of olive oil.
- Add the tin of black beans and the tin of chopped tomatoes and let it simmer on the stove.
- Add the kettle corn, chilli flakes and BBQ sauce and stir well.
- Add the soya mince and two cups of boiling water and turn up the heat.
- Stir occasionally until all the water is absorbed and the soya mince is soft (about 15 minutes).
- Add the tomato sauce, onion powder, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Serve hot with cooked rice, mash potato, couscous or samp corn.